Meet Dr. James Parrish
Dr. James Parrish is board-certified in General Surgery and a Fellow of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. He has devoted his career to helping people overcome the physical and emotional effects of obesity, and he is committed to providing patients with comprehensive care to ensure that they lose weight safely and effectively. Dr. Parrish believes that education and a solid support system – from the first consultation to follow-up care – is essential to providing patients the assistance they need as they embark on a new path toward a healthier, happier lifestyle.
Dr. Parrish has over 15 years of experience with minimally invasive abdominal surgery and has undergone additional post graduate training in bariatric surgery since 2003. Since that time, Dr. Parrish has performed hundreds of bariatric procedures in Central Louisiana.
Thank you Dr. Parrish for giving me my life back. I have been a very persistent patient, Dr Parrish has been awesome. I have lost over 90 lb. And before I’ve been very sick. Now I’m well again.
May 22, 2016
Background and History
Dr. James Parrish is Medical Director of Bariatric Surgery at Central Louisiana Surgical Hospital and Christus St. Francis Cabrini Hospital. Dr. Parrish is an Executive Board Member and past President of the Louisiana Chapter of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, and he is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
Dr. Parrish has had extensive post graduate education and training in bariatric surgery at institutions across the nation and has performed hundreds of bariatric procedures. His educational history includes:
- 2010 – Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band Program (Ethicon) – Baton Rouge, LA
- 2009 – Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy Preceptorship – Lafayette, LA
- 2009 – Bariatric Mini Fellowship, University of Texas-Southwestern – Dallas, TX
- 2008 – Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band Program (Allergan) – Memphis, TN
- 2003 – Fundamentals of Bariatric Surgery – Redwood City, CA
- 1996-2001 – Louisiana State University, New Orleans – General Surgery Residency
- 1992-1996 – Louisiana State University School of Medicine in New Orleans – Honors Program
- 1988-1992 – Emory University, Atlanta
Professional Organizations and Leadership
Dr. Parrish holds membership with a variety of world-renowned medical organizations, including:
- Fellow of the American Society For Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- Past President of the Louisiana Chapter of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- Fellow of the Southeastern Surgical Congress
- Executive Board Member and Past President of the Rapides Parish Medical Society
- President of the Medical Executive Committee – Dubuis Hospital
- Member of the Medical Executive Committee – Central Louisiana Surgical Hospital
- Liaison to American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer
- Member of the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons
If you would like more information on the biography and credentials of our bariatric surgeon, or if you would like to schedule a consultation with Dr. James Parrish, please contact us today.